Checklist for Graduating Students
October – November
- Apply to graduate by the November 30 deadline. The online application to become a degree candidate is located under Virtual Campus in WIN. To apply to become a May 2014 degree candidate go to WIN > Virtual Campus > Your Student Records > Apply for Graduation > Term Selection > and select “Fall 2014″ for May 2015 degree candidacy.
- Once you have applied, a complete degree evaluation will be processed by your major department and by staff in the Office of the University Registrar to determine whether or not you are on track to graduate in May.
- You should regularly visit Degree Evaluation in WIN to confirm that all of your courses are meeting the appropriate degree requirements.
- Register for the courses needed to complete your degree during Spring registration for classes. Verify that with your Spring courses, you have completed all degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements.
- Check Degree Evaluation in WIN to verify progress toward graduation requirements. Contact the Office of the University Registrar with any questions about status.
- Before January 28th (last day to add), verify that with your Spring courses, you will have completed all degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements.
- Check your mailbox for the 2014 Commencement booklet. A booklet will also be mailed to your family at your permanent address.
- Check the Commencement website for up-to-date information and direct your family to the website.
- Discuss Commencement Weekend ticket needs with your family members and determine the final number of tickets you will need for the Baccalaureate Ceremony, Baccalaureate Picnic, Commencement Breakfast and Commencement Ceremony.
- Reserve tickets online. Online ticket registration opens in early March. After an order has been placed, subsequent online orders or revisions will not be accepted by the registration system. At no time will graduates be denied the maximum number of tickets.
- Students needing additional tickets are free to ask classmates who do not need all tickets to order the maximum and share the extras. Students need to make these arrangements themselves.
- Attend the Grad Fair in late March at the College Bookstore. This two-day event will be your first opportunity to order cap, gown & tassel (available only as a package). Students can also order graduation announcements, class rings and diploma frames. Representatives from the Office of the University Registrar and the Commencement Office will be available to to answer questions. You will be asked to check the name to be placed on your diploma and your diploma’s shipping address for correctness.
- Be sure to review the information sheet you receive from the Commencement Office at the Grad Fair and keep it for reference. The handout contains detailed instructions for graduates regarding Baccalaureate and Graduation exercises.
- All graduating seniors (College BA and BS candidates) are asked to fill out the name pronunciation form. This will ensure that the graduate’s name is pronounced correctly during the commencement ceremony.
- The list of approved degree candidates will be posted on WIN. Check the spelling of your name and hometown.
- Schedule your exit interview with Financial Aid, if applicable.
- Pay fines or other financial debts on your student account. Your account must be cleared before your graduation.
- Informational emails from the Office of the University Registrar are sent as the graduation ceremony approaches. Read these carefully and respond appropriately.
- Pay fines or other financial debts on your student account by Friday, May 15 at the latest, so that payment can be processed in time for graduation.
- Check out the upcoming Young Alumni Club events and apply for your alumni email address that will move with you wherever you go.
- Pick up your cap, gown & tassel at the College Bookstore beginning the first day of final exams. Payment is due when the regalia is picked up.
- Tickets are not mailed. Pick up your tickets and parking passes in front of the College Bookstore on Friday and Saturday, May 15 and 16, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Please be prepared to show ID. The Bookstore will be open both days for cap & gown distribution.