Checklist for Parents & Families of Graduating Students
- Remind your degree candidate to apply to graduate in May 2017 by the November 30, 2016 deadline. The graduate should also consult his or her Degree Evaluation in WIN to verify progress toward graduation requirements.
- Make hotel reservations. Contact information for preferred hotels can be found on the Wake Forest University website. When you contact a hotel, let the reservationist know that you will be attending the Wake Forest graduation. Many hotels have set aside a block of rooms for graduation guests.
- Read and save the Commencement booklet, which will be mailed to each graduating student’s local address and permanent address in late February.
- Encourage your graduate to attend the Grad Fair being held on March 22nd and 23rd from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the The Bookstore. Graduates can order cap, gown and tassel (sold only as a package), graduation announcements, class rings and diploma frames. There will also be representatives from the Office of the University Registrar, Student Financial Services and the Commencement Office to check the status of student accounts and to answer questions.
- Discuss Commencement Weekend ticket needs with your graduate and other family members and determine the final number of tickets you will need for the Baccalaureate Ceremony, Baccalaureate Brunch, Commencement Breakfast and Commencement Ceremony.
- Reserve tickets. Online ticket registration opens in early March. The maximum number of tickets available for each graduate will NOT be reduced at any point, so there is no benefit to registering for tickets before your ticket needs/quantities have been finalized. Only one ticket registration per graduate is accepted and it is not possible to revise registrations electronically. Tickets may be ordered online until May 1.
- Consider your ticket needs early. Students needing additional tickets are free to ask classmates who do not need all tickets to order the maximum and share the extras. Students need to make these arrangements themselves.
- All BA and BS degree recipients who will march in the May graduation exercises are asked to fill out the name pronunciation form. This will ensure that your graduate’s name is pronounced correctly during the commencement ceremony. The form should be submitted by April 30.
- Check campus weather. Graduation exercises are held outside and last less than three hours, but temperatures in May can vary widely.